This honor may be conferred upon the recommendation of the appropriate department or school (through a suitable faculty body) and the dean of the school. While all who have completed their active services are “retired faculty”, only those granted this honor have the title “Professor Emeritus” (or “Associate”, “Clinical” etc. “Professor Emeritus.”)
- Must be tenured, or full-time non-tenure-track, faculty, at the time of retirement from the University
- At least ten years of full-time service
- Rendered faithful service worthy of honor to the University
The form of recommendation is a memo addressed to the Provost from the department chair, stating the faculty’s actions, with a paragraph briefly summarizing the individual’s career at USC. The dean’s endorsement may be shown by counter-signature or cover memo. This recommendation is then sent to the Office of the Provost. You will subsequently be notified of the decision in writing.
When submitting requests for emeritus status, please include the following:
- Cover letter from the dean with the request
- CV of faculty member nominated for emeritus/a status
- Home mailing address
- Letter of resignation
- Correspondence from the department chair or faculty review committee recommending the appointment (if applicable)’
For more information on emeritus status and faculty retirement planning, contact the USC Emeriti Center or visit their retirement planning resources page.
USC Emeriti Center
University of Southern California
3715 McClintock, Suite 220
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0191
Available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Phone: (213) 740-8921
Fax: (213) 740-7120